What is a PST file ?
PST stands for personal storage table. It is a file format for the data files which Outlook uses in order to store all the Outlook data which includes data like emails, contacts, calendar etc. These data may or may not be compressed or encrypted depending on the settings of your Outlook. When more data is stored in your PST file then it is noticed that the Outlook performance becomes slow. For this the Outlook offers to archive the old emails in order to help remove this problem.
Outlook data files are of two types. These are Outlook Data File .pst and Outlook Data File .ost.
- Outlook Data File (.pst): An Outlook Data File .pst is used for POP3 and IMAP email accounts. Whenever you want to create an archives or backup files of the Outlook folders and items on your system for example Exchange accounts then you should create and use an additional Outlook Data File (.pst)
- Outlook Data File (.ost): Outlook Data File .ost is used when you have an Exchange account and chose to work offline or you use Cached Exchange Mode. It’s not necessary to keep backup of an offline Outlook Data File (.ost). A new Outlook data file .ost is created from the saved data on your system.
OST file are same format as PST but is used as an offline storage. PST file are used for the email archival. POP3 and IMAP accounts email may be stored in a PST file whereas email synced from Hotmail account with Hotmail Connector is stored in an OST file. Exchange accounts can use both an OST file for offline access and a PST file for data backup.
Here in this article we will discuss about PST file.
You can save, move and copy your data file to another location on your system. For this you have folder read/write permissions to open an Outlook Data File .pst.
PST file may get damage because of several reasons. When the PST file get damage then you may notice some error messages on your screen. Some of the error messages includes: Outlook.pst inaccessible, Error 0x8004011, Client Error: 0x80040600, Fatal Error: 80040900, An unknown error has occurred. 0X80040116, An unknown error has occurred. 0X80040119 or An unknown error has occurred. 0X80040600e.
There are several reasons why PST error messages pop up on the screen. Hardware and software reasons are responsible for PST error message.
Hardware Reasons are:
- Data Storage Device Failure: Due to bad sector on hard disk and your PST file has been stored on these sectors then you may get error messages.
- Faulty Networking Device: The Outlook PST file resides on the network server and if you try to access it from the client computer via network links then you may get error message.
- Power Failure: If there is a power failure happens while accessing the PST file then you may see an error message.
- Incorrect File System Recovery: File system recovery may cause PST file corruptions. When the file system is broken then it may cause PST error.
- Malicious Software: Virus use to infect and damage the Outlook Pst file and make it inaccessible. Always keep an updated version of Anti-virus software in your system which can protect you from these error.
- Terminate Outlook Abnormally: Always quit Outlook after saving all your changes to the PST file and ten click on Exit or Close menu item. When Outlook is shut down abnormally then PST file may be corrupted or damaged.
- Deficiencies in Outlook Programs: When the PST file goes beyond 2 GB then it will get corrupted or damaged. When Outlook encounters an unexpected error then it will say “Microsoft Outlook has encountered a problem and needs to close. We are sorry for the inconvenience.” and terminate abnormally which make the PST file corrupted or damage.
If you also encounter the same problem that is got a PST error then you are recommended to use a third party tool that is PST Repair Tool.
Some features of PST Repair Tool are:
1. It can Recover and Restore emails, contacts, calendars etc.
2. You can preview the files before restoration.
3. It supports all the versions of MS Outlook.
4. It is compatible with Windows Operating System Versions like Windows 7, Windows XP, Windows Vista etc.
5. It generate unique PST file profile every time.
6. It supports all the Outlook version like Outlook 2007, 2010 and 2013.
User Guide For PST Repair Tool are:
Step 1: Download and Install PST Repair Tool. After successfully installation of software launch the software and then select the corrupt PST file to be scanned.
Step 2: Now click on the Start button in order to start the scanning process.
Step 3: In this step you may view the scanning progress.
Step 4: After the scanning process gets completed, PST Repair Tool will recover all the recoverable components.
Step 5: In this step you will be able to see the lost folder. For this to recover go for the License key and save the recovered PST file.